Child & Family
Children and families
Alcohol and other drugs
Report – Provision of drug rehabilitation services in regional, rural and remote New South Wales
This report, by the Parliament of New South Wales, examines the provision and availability of drug rehabilitation services in rural New South Wales.
Child abuse and neglect
Event – FRSA National Conference: Program now available
20-23 November 2018, Cairns, Queensland.
Hosted by Family and Relationship Services Australia (FRSA), this year’s theme is Be the change: leave no-one behind, the conference aims to share knowledge and inspiration with practitioners, managers, researchers and policy makers who work with children, families and communities.
News – Launch of Kids First
The Children’s Protection Society (Victoria) has rebranded itself as Kids First with the launch of a new website, branding and service model. Visit the Kids First website.
Training – Supporting your client through child protection
30 August 2018, Melbourne, Victoria.
This workshop, hosted by Women’s Legal Service Victoria, is aimed at family violence practitioners who have clients involved with child protection matters.
Culturally and linguistically diverse families
Report – Anti-racism in 2018 and beyond: A report on the activities of the national anti-racism
This report, published by the Australian Human Rights Commission, reviews and evaluates the National Anti-racism Strategy, and provides an overview of the state of play on race in Australia.
Disability and carers
Report – Improving educational outcomes for children with disability in Victoria
This research, published by the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law, Monash University, applies a human rights analysis to the experiences of children with disability in the Victorian mainstream government school system.
Early and middle childhood
Report – Managing rehabilitation services in youth detention (Vic)
This report, published by Victorian Auditor-General’s Office, examines how well rehabilitation services are meeting the needs of children and young people in the youth detention system.
Event – International Domestic Violence and Health Conference: Sustainable Change in the Health Sector
20–21 November 2018, Melbourne, Victoria.
This event is hosted by the Centre of Research Excellence to promote Safer Families. The conference will focus on early intervention for domestic violence in health settings.
Report – Research summary: The impacts of domestic and family violence on children (2nd ed.)
This report, published by Australia’s National Research Organisation for Women’s Safety, summarises research on domestic and family violence in Australia for practitioners and policy makers.
Event – Anti Poverty Week
14–20 October 2018, National.
Upcoming Anti-Poverty Week is a national event coordinated by Australian organisations and social welfare services.
Report – Discussion paper: House of Representatives Select Committee on Intergenerational Welfare Dependence
This report, published by the Commonwealth of Australia, examines matters relating to intergenerational welfare dependence of families and outcomes for children.
Report – Australian Government response to the Senate Economic References Committee Report: ‘A husband is not a retirement plan’
This report, published by the Commonwealth of Australia, is the Australian Government’s response to the senate inquiry examining gender inequality in Australian retirement incomes.
Housing and homelessness
Report – Homelessness in WA: A review of the research and statistical evidence report
This report, published by the Department of Communities, Western Australia, presents an overview of homelessness in Western Australia and suggested policy and practice responses to address it.
Report – Chronic homelessness in Melbourne: First-year outcomes of Journey to Social Inclusion Phase 2 Study Participants
This report, published by Sacred Heart Mission, in collaboration with the Centre for Social Impact, the University of Western Australia and Swinburne University, provides an evaluation of the survey component of the Journey to Social Inclusion (J2SI) research study
Report – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Stolen Generations and descendants: Numbers, demographic characteristics and selected outcomes
This report, published by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), in partnership with The Healing Foundation, presents key statistics on the Stolen Generations and their descendants.
Event – Victorian Mental Health Social Work Conference 2018
10 October 2018, Melbourne, Victoria.
This event is hosted by the Victorian Mental Health Social Work Practice Group. This year’s theme is The Unique Contribution of Social Work to Mental Health Practice.
- Report—Australia’s welfare 2017 This AIHW report provides an overview of the wellbeing of Australians, examining a wide range of relevant topics.
Communities and neighbourhoods
These reports focus on approaches to using data to program design and monitoring, and governance and collaboration models.
This report from the Centre for Community Child Health brings together presentations and recommendations from a policy roundtable on place-based approaches to improving outcomes for children.
Drug and alcohol abuse
This resource provides information and resources about crystal methamphetamine (ice).
This website provides a range of information, tools and resources relating to Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
Early and middle childhood
This report from the Mitchell Institute examines the importance of providing quality early childhood education to Australian children.
This report from ANROWS summarises findings of research into information sharing and the enforcement of domestic violence protection orders.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics has released results from the 2016 Personal Safety Survey, which examines experiences of violence and safety.
This report from the Victorian Sentencing Advisory Council examines approaches to the management of family violence offenders.
21 November 2017, 1–5pm, Springvale, Vic.
This half day workshop aims to build capacity and sector development for local service providers engaging and responding to migrant and refugee families who experience domestic and family violence.
25 November 2017, National.
White Ribbon Day is an annual event held on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. It aims to raise awareness, and to seek changes to the attitudes and behaviours that lead to and perpetuate men’s violence against women.
This report from ACOSS presents statistics on children living in poverty in Australia, highlighting that 1 in 6 children under the age of 15 are living in poverty.
- Report—Intergenerational disadvantage: Learning about equal opportunity from social assistance receipt
This report examines the factors contributing to intergenerational disadvantage.
Housing and homelessness
This report from Mission Australia provides a list of recommendations that address the issue of older people experiencing homelessness and housing stress in Australia.
Mental health and illness
- Report—Digital me: A survey exploring the effect of social media and digital technology on Australians’ wellbeing
This report from the Australian Psychological Society presents findings of a survey examining the effects of social media on Australians’ wellbeing.
Natural disasters and drought
17–18 April 2018, Melbourne, Vic.
This conference is designed to examine how communities can be empowered to be more resilient following natural disasters.
This report from ACWA gives a snapshot of the level of engagement in education of children and young people in out-of-home care in New South Wales.
- Prevention of child abuse and neglect This week is National Child Protection Week, 3-9 September 2017.
This new resource has been produced in partnership with NAPCAN, as part of National Child Protection Week. The resource provides an overview of the prevention of child abuse and neglect, with a focus on primary prevention.
- Mandatory reporting of child abuse and neglect This updated resource sheet examines legal provisions requiring specified people to report suspected abuse and neglect to government child protection services in Australia.
- Survey finds parents don’t always know if their kids are struggling emotionally This short article reflects on research that revealed parents didn’t always know how adolescents were feeling, and considers implications for practice.
- Social Media Ratings – a site that has reviews and ratings on all of the popular social media sites and apps that kids are using. Parents share how appropriate each site is (by age), features on the site that pose risks for kids and safety advice.
- Digital Safety: Staying Safe Online – an informational guide to internet safety that has specific sections on common safety concerns; it covers things like social media use, keeping kids safe online and password security.
- NS Teens – a good website with games, videos, quizzes and comics that teach young teens internet safety.
- Aboriginal Perinatal Health Report
- Access Study Phase 2 Research Report
- Access Study Phase I Research Report
- After the Questions: Impact of Routine Screening for Domestic Violence in NSW Health Services
- Domestic Violence Routine Screening Snapshot Report 11 (2013)
- Evaluation of Aboriginal Maternal and Infant Health Strategy
- Evaluation of The Statewide Infant Screening – Hearing (SWISH) Program
- Expert Group Report on NSW Kids and Families
- Formative Evaluation of Health Assessment Processes and Coordination for Children and Young People Entering Statutory Out of Home Care: Final Report
- GP Strategy: Advancing Adolescent Health through General Practice
- Having a baby
- Health Interventions for Family and Domestic Violence: A literature review
- Healthy, Safe and Well: A strategic health plan for children, young people and families 2014-24
- Keep Them Safe: Prevalence Study on the Health Care of Children in Out of Home Care
- Models of Screening and Surveillance in Early Childhood: Evidence Review
- Models of Screening and Surveillance of Hearing in Early Childhood: Evidence Review
- Mothers and Babies Report 2013
- NSW Health Workforce Domestic Violence Survey
- NSW Youth Health Policy 2011-2016 Consultation Forum
- NSW Youth Health Policy 2011-2016 Literature Review
- NSW Youth Health Policy Showcase 2013
- Our Babies: The State’s Best Asset – A History of 100 Years of Child and Family Health Services in NSW
- Paediatrics – Guidelines for Networking of Paediatric Services in NSW
- Paediatrics – Report from the Paediatric Injury and Management Forum
- Paediatrics – Surgery For Children in Metropolitan Sydney: Strategic Framework
- Paediatrics – Variation in paediatric clinical practice
- RACP:National Standards for the Care of Children and Adolescents
- Responding to children under ten who display problematic sexualised behaviour or sexually abusive behaviour – Issues Paper
- Review of Domestic Violence Policy
- Review of forensic and medical services for victims of sexual assault and child abuse Report 1
- Review of forensic and medical services for victims of sexual assault and child abuse Report 2
- Routine Screening for Domestic Violence in NSW Health: Unless They’re Asked
- Spinning the Web: better connections between services working with young people
- Sustaining NSW Families Program External Evaluation 2015
- Tech Savvy and ‘Appy
- Test and Models for Screening to Prevent Blindness in Infants and Children: Evidence Review
- Vacuum Assisted Births – Are We Getting it Right?
- Year in Review 2013/14: First Steps
- Year in Review 2014/15: Hand-in-Hand
- Youth Health 2015
- Youth Health Conference 2011 Final Report
- Youth Health in NSW 2014